Sunday, January 19, 2014

Foundation Tips for Beginners

Hello! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Today I wanted to share some tips on how to apply foundation. 

  • Find a foundation that matches your skin type. There are ones formulated for normal/dry skin and others for oily skin. If you have oily skin, choose an oil-free foundation. 
  • Toner and primer helps makeup last longer.
  • Decide on the coverage you want. BB creams, tinted moisturizer and many mineral powder are on the lighter side, while liquid foundation is typically medium to full coverage. 
  • Blend! Blending is so important. When using a liquid foundation I dot the foundation towards the inner part of my face, then blend it outwards. This prevents a harsh line of foundation around the face.
  • After applying foundation and concealer, set with a translucent powder to keep your makeup in place all day. A pigmented pressed powder can also be used, but be careful to not use too much because they can look cakey.
  • If you have more oily skin, blotting paper is great to soak up any excess oil throughout the day, instead of touching up with more powder which can also give a cakey look. 
  • When looking for a foundation color, matching the color to your neck is the best way to make sure there won't be a visible makeup line around your face. Having a foundation outline around your face is not a cute look.
  • Try different methods of applying makeup to see which one you like best. I really like using a makeup sponge, but there are also flat top kabuki brushes, a standard foundation brush, or you can just use your fingers.
  • Make sure the tool you use to apply the foundation is clean. I try to clean my brushes every week, but it normally turns into about every 2 weeks. If you want to see how I clean them click here. If you choose you use your fingers make sure to wash your hands before applying. Spreading bacteria on your face can cause blemishes.  
  • Adding blush, bronzer and highlight helps add dimension to your face.

What are your best foundation tips?
Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am still a noob on contouring and highlighting. I don't know how dark I should go on the contour shade. I don't want to buy one and find out it's too dark later on!

    May from La Vie En May

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all very good tips and things I often forget!I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Go check out my last blog post for the details! Here: http://www.willsingformakeup.com/
    xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment.
      aww thanks for the nomination! I would love to do the post!

      Delete