Monday, January 6, 2014

Eye Makeup Tips for Beginners

Hello! Eye makeup is probably my favorite thing to do in my makeup routine. I love experimenting with different colors and eyeliners. I have learned a few tips and tricks along the way that I thought I would share.
  • Brighten Eyes- This will help makes your eyes a focus point and keep you looking more awake. 
    • When applying eyeshadow, keep lighter colors towards the inner part of your eyes, and darker colors on the outer part. 
    • Use a highlight color on the innermost part of your eye and on your brow bone. I like to use the color Virgin from my Naked 1 Palette.
    • To really make your eyes pop, use a white or skin colored eyeliner pencil on your lower waterline. Using a dark color on your waterline will close eyes off and make them appear smaller. I do like the way darker colors on the waterline look, but I normally avoid doing it on myself because my eyes are small enough. Instead, I use a brown eyeshadow on the outer half of my bottom lash line. 
  • Use a Primer- This helps eyeshadow last longer and not crease.
    • Avoid applying moisturizer or foundation to the areas you plan on applying eyeshadow.
    • If you don't have a primer a small dab of concealer, or a cream eyeshadow will also work. I like to use Maybelline Color Tattoo's. I pick a similar color to the powder eyeshadow I plan on using. Not only does it last longer, but it intensifies the color.
    • Apply eyeshadow with an angle eye brush on top of eyeliner to set it and help it last longer. 
  • Mascara- This completes the whole eye look.
    • There are mascaras that lengthen, and others that volumize. Its just personal preference as to which one to use. Some choose to do one layer of each kind to get a more intense look.
    • When applying mascara, put the wand on the outer corner of your lashes and pull outwards (towards the side of your face) to make lashes look fuller.
  • Fill in Your Brows- Eyebrows make a huge difference. If you have never tried filling in your eyebrows I would definitely recommend giving it a try. If you want to see how I do mine click here.
  • What are your favorite eye makeup tips and tricks?
     
     

4 comments:

  1. I feel silly for asking this but what do you mean about "water line"? Great tips! I love reading and seeing different tips on eye makeup. When I go out at night I add a bit of color that matches what I am wearing in the middle of my eye. Just a slight line that goes out to make some what of a cat eye I guess. My daughters ages 18 and 22 and their friends love it as does my 30 year old son so it must look OK :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I should have explained it better. The waterline is part of the lower lid. It is between the bottom lashes and the actual eyeball.
      I've never tried using an eyeshadow to do a cat eye effect like that. I will have to give it a try though.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I'm not a beginner and I learned something.
    http://alwaysblabbing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I added the "for beginners" part last minute. I didn't know if the tips were to basic. I glad they aren't :)

      Delete