Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Is the Beauty Blender Worth it?

Hello! I am late on the Beautyblender bandwagon, but I still wanted to write a review on it. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. It gives foundation a natural, airbrush look. I have been using the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge before getting the Beautyblender, so I will do a comparison of them.

 The pink sponge is the Beauty Blender, and the blue sponge is from Sonia Kashuk. They are about the same size when they are dry, but when wet, the Beauty Blender is about 60% bigger. I get them both wet before using them to apply foundation.


Price: Sonia Kashuk- $10.49, Beautyblender- $20
Shape: Sonia Kashuk Sponge has rounded sides and comes to a point on the other side. The Beautyblender is egg shaped. The bottoms make it easy to apply foundation to your face, with the tips are great to apply foundation or concealer around your eyes and nose.
Blending: Both sponges blend foundation well. Because the Beautyblender is softer, I find that it blends better and quicker.  The Sonia Kashuk Sponge is firmer and takes a little bit longer to blend evenly. I feel like I have to press a lot harder to fully blend. I also find that I have to smudge the foundation on first with Sonia Kashuk's, instead of just dabbing it like the Beautyblender.

Final Verdict: I like the Beautyblender  more than the Sonia Kashuk Sponge. I find that it is a lot easier to get a flawless look. It is more gentle than Sonia Kashuk's. I think that it worth spending more on.  If you want to go for a cheaper option I have heard good things about Real Techniques Makeup Sponges. I'm not sure of the price on those though.

These are the only 2 makeup sponges I have tried. Let me know if you have had any luck with a different brand. If you want to see how I use and clean my makeup sponges click here. I show how using the Sonia Kashuk sponge, but I do the exact same thing for the Beautyblender.
Thanks for visiting! and don't forget to follow me on twitter or google+ to stay up to date on new posts :)



9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've been enjoying the Beauty Blender, it's one of my favorite tools to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely my new favorite tool to use! I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

      Delete
  2. This post definitely sold me! I've been trying to decide whether to try the Beauty Blender for ages and I think I'm gonna give it a try! I've never heard a bad thing about it! xoxo
    LeighVioletBeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to finally get one. I couldn't justify spending 20 dollars on it. I finally just purchased one and I'm so glad I did.

      Delete
  3. I just got the Beauty Blender and am so excited to start using it! So glad you did this comparison because it is expensive for a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is expensive for a sponge. It took me a while to decide to buy one. Its been my favorite tool to use lately though!
      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love, love, love the Beauty Blender, I honestly can't use anything else. I have the Sigma F80 brush, and I prefer the BB over the brush. I have tried other knockoff sponges, but they just don't compare. I would like to try the one from RT though, I hear it's a pretty good dupe for the BB.
    Enjoyed reading your review!
    xo, Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I waited so long to try it. I liked using the Sonia Kashuk one before I knew how great the BB was. It's so much more flawless with the BB. I've heard great things about the RT one. I'll probably try it out eventually. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  5. I have been debating to get a beauty blender because I've heard so many people rave about them!
    Maybe I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete