Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How to Apply Foundation

Prepping your skin: Before applying foundation, make sure you start with a clean "canvas" by washing your face with your favorite face wash. The next step is to apply a toner which is optional. Toners help to restore the pH balance of skin that cleansers and scrubs can disrupt. I recommend using an alcohol free toner to prevent drying your skin out. Next is to apply a moisturizer. This is important even if you have oily skin, like me. I have tried a lot of oil-free moisturizers but my favorite is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. It is very light on my skin and it does not leave my skin feeling oily. Another optional step is to apply primer. This can help to make your makeup last longer, it minimizes pores and it even out your skin tone.

Applying Foundation:There are a few different ways to apply foundation:

  • Foundation Brush
  • Sponge/ Beauty Blender
  • Flat Top Kabuki Brush
  • Fingers
With the first 3 methods you can either dot the foundation onto your forehead, nose, cheeks and chin and then use the brush to blend it out. Or you can apply the foundation to the back of your hand and dip the brush lightly into it and apply to your face. You want to make sure you are always working for the inner parts of your face and working it out. This prevents the dreaded makeup line around your face.


Method 1: Foundation Brush
Using the wide side of the brush start making downward and outward strokes. Making small 'x' motions can help blend it in also. Use the skinny edge to apply the foundation to the sides of your nose. It takes some practice using this brush, but when you get the hang of it, it is easy to do without streaks. This method is nice because it can be used for a light or full coverage depending on how much foundation you use.
There is also a concealer brush that looks like this foundation brush, but is smaller that can be used to apply concealer under the eyes and to blemishes.

 


Method 2:  Flat Top Kabuki Brush
A flat top brush is a very dense brush that tends to apply the foundation thicker then other methods. Again, you can either dot the foundation on your face, or dip the brush into foundation that is on the back of your hand. Using small, circular motions, buff the product into your skin working from the inner part of your face, out. This creates a flawless, airbrushed look.

Method 3: Sponges and Beauty Blender
Sponges and the Beauty Blender leave the skin with a nice, dewy look. It gives a more natural finish and can be quite sheer, almost like a tinted moisturizer. To apply use the wide part of the sponge to apply the foundation to your entire face, then us the small edge to blend it into the sides of your nose and around your eyes. Sponges tend to soak up a lot of the product, but if you dampen it before use, it can help prevent it. This is not the method to use if you want a full coverage application.


Method 4: Fingers
This method is quick, easy and cheap. Before you start, make sure your hands are clean. You don't want to spread dirt and bacteria on your face. I dispense 1 pump of foundation onto the tips of my fingers. I blend it between my hands to warm it up and then I apply it to my face. Like the other methods I start in the center of my face and work outwards. I then like to use a stippling brush (like a flat top kabuki brush, but a lot less dense.) I make sure it is all blended into my skin by making small circular motions with the brush.

Final Touches:The final step is to apply concealer and to set your foundation. I apply concealer underneath my eyes and on any blemishes I have. I make sure it is blended well using my fingers or the beauty blender. I then take a translucent powder and a powder brush to set my foundation. I put a small amount of powder on the brush and then make small circular motions with the brush. I apply it this way to prevent smudging any foundation or concealer. If you have dry skin you can either skip the powder, or only apply it to your t-zone.
Apply some blush and eye makeup, and your face is ready to go!


  • A tip for anyone with oily skin is to take a tissue (without lotion) and peel it into the 2 pieces. After you apply your liquid foundation take one of the thin pieces of tissue and blot your face. This gets rid of any excess oil from the makeup. 
Thanks for visiting! 
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment