Thursday, August 22, 2013

My Favorite Hair Care Products

Today I wanted to share some of my favorite hair care products with you. I recently cut my hair a little past my shoulders and use a flat iron more than I probably should. Making sure my hair is protected and moisturized is very important. These are the products I have found that work well for my hair.


Moroccan Oil- I have curly hair that tends to be very dry, especially during the winter months. About two years ago I cut 8 inches off my hair, to my shoulders. I straightened it every day for about 6 months. My hair became very damaged and brittle from the constant heat. I put one pump on the ends of my towel dried hair. I have noticed a huge difference in the health of my hair. It leaves it shiny and helps to control some of the frizz. You want to avoid putting this product on your scalp and avoid using too much product, because it will leave your hair looking greasy. This is a great product to restore life to damaged, over-processed hair. It comes in an original formula for normal to thick hair and a light formula for thinner hair.

 

Macadamia Deep Repair Mask- I love using this product to add moisture back to my hair. The directions say to use it on clean, wet hair and leave it on for up to 7 minutes, no more than twice a week. I try to use this product once a week and replace my conditioner with this product on those days. I usually use it in the shower and leave it on my hair for a few minutes, but if I have the time I will leave it on for longer. If I leave it on longer I will wash my hair in the sink and apply the mask. Then I wrap my hair in a towel (or you can use a shower cap) and leave it on for around an hour. This product leaves my hair shiny and soft and also helps with frizz. I love the smell of this product too! I would not recommend using this product every day because it may weigh down your hair and because of the intensity it may cause more damage then good.

 

Dry Shampoo- Dry shampoo is a great product to refresh your hair. It comes in a aerosol can or a powdered form and it is used to soak up dirt and oil. Apply a small amount onto your scalp and then brush the product out. I only wash my hair every other day, but by the second day my roots are oily. I spray it only through my roots and it makes my hair look and feel clean. It also adds extra volume.

 
Clarifying Shampoo-
Clarifying shampoo is important to get all of the build-up out of hair. Using gel, hairspray etc. causes build-up over time and can weigh hair down and make it feel greasy. Clarifying shampoos should not be used on a daily basis because they can be harsh on hair. I use it about 1-2 times a month, when my hair feels like it needs it. I start by putting a small amount in the tips of my fingers and work it through my scalp. I apply more as needed until my whole scalp is lathered. I do not apply any directly to my ends, because it is drying. Make sure to rinse well and apply a good conditioner or a deep conditioner after.

 

Coconut Oil- Coconut oil is another product that works wonders for damaged hair. Coconut oil has a small molecular structure that freely soaks into the hair. It comes in a semi-solid form, but when heated it turns to a liquid. I warm it up in my hands and apply it to my hair and massage it into my scalp. I do this at night and wash it out after an hour. It can be hard to wash out, so it is good to wash with shampoo twice. Coconut oil strengthens hair, adds shine and moisture. I like this because it is not like hair products with a ton of additives.

 

Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer- When using heat on your hair you want to make sure you use a good heat protectant. This helps to prevent heat damage from straighteners, blow dryers and curling irons. Tresemme Thermal Creations can be found in drugstores. The bottle has a nice design and sprays evenly. I spray it on wet hair before I blow dry my hair and it leaves my hair feeling soft. It doesn't leave my hair feeling sticky like some heat protectants I have tried.






DevaCurl Light Defining Gel- This product is obviously only for those of you with curly hair. I love this gel and use it on a daily basis. It is lightweight and doesn't leave my hair feeling crunchy. It separates my curls and defines them. I put this product in my hair when it is damp and I scrunch my hair. Once my hair dries, I always use a product to reduce the frizz.








What are some of your favorite hair care products?
Thanks for visiting!
Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Just found ur blog and followed you on Bloglovin!
    Hope u will follow us back!
    www.twentythirtyglam.blogspot.com

    We LOVE the Moroccan Oil, and the coconut oil too! We swear by coconut oil for almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed you back.
    Your blog is so cute and you have some great reviews on it.

    Coconut oil is my favorite. There are so many great uses for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try some of these. My head is a mass of curls!
    Great reviews! (: Followed you (:
    http://itsmycatandme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! It has taken so long for me to find products that work for my natural hair. I hope some work for you :)

    ReplyDelete