Thursday, June 13, 2013

How to Grow Hair

 
About a year ago I cut my hair to my shoulders because my ends were completely fried from heat styling. After much TLC and patience I have gotten it to the length in the picture. I am still hoping for a few more inches! The most important thing to do when trying to grow your hair out is to keep it healthy. Here are my tips:
  • Get a trim when you feel that your ends are dry and are splitting. I get mine cut about a half an inch every 2-3 months.
  • Don't wash your hair everyday. Using shampoo strips hair of natural oils and can cause hair to become dry and brittle. I wash my hair every other day and dry shampoo helps to absorb any excess oil so it doesn't look greasy. 
  • Don't brush your hair, or pull it up when it's wet. This is the time when your hair is the weakest and can easily rip. If your hair gets tangled and you need to brush your hair when it is wet, try using a wide-tooth comb instead.
  • Avoid excessively using heat. Heat causes breakage and split ends and can make hair brittle. Whenever using a blow dryer, curling iron or straightener make sure to use a heat protectant each time. My favorite is Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. It works well, smells good and its only about $4-$5 at the drugstore.Can't beat that!
  • Avoid coloring, bleaching or getting your hair relaxed or a perm.
  •  After washing your hair, dab it dry by using a scrunching motion with a towel instead of rubbing your hair. Rubbing causes frizz and can damage hair. I have heard that using a t-shirt to dry hair can reduce frizz, although I haven't tried this.
  • Use a good deep conditioner to add moisture back to hair. I like using Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque. I put it on my hair right after I shampoo and leave it on for about 7 minutes. This product works well but it is on the pricier side. It is about $30 for a jar. I also like to use coconut oil as a deep conditioner. I apply it to my hair an hour or two before a shower all over my hair and even massage it into my scalp. It comes in a semi-solid form, but when it is heated it turns into a liquid. This can easily be done by rubbing it between your hands. When shampooing it out I always shampoo twice to make sure all of the coconut oil is out. It will look greasy if their is any left. After using either deep conditioner my hair feels extra soft and it is easier to manage.
  • A daily scalp massage can promote hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles by increasing blood flow. 
  • Drink lots of water!!!! and eat healthy foods. Healthy hair, skin and nails starts from within.  
Growing your hair out takes time and patience. In no time you will have beautiful long hair.

Thanks for visiting!! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment